I use the outline mode in the field list to work with fields that are
buried.  Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain, admittedly.

But essentially, what I do is select the field in the form view, then look
for the field underneath it in outline view.  From there I can usually
right click/add overlay and edit the properties.

I use the outline view because fields with the same parent - whether it's a
panel, a tab, or whatnot will all be grouped together.  There are a few
buttons at the top of the field list that let you pick between views.