I thought I would give a little explanation for this statement.....

There has been a change in the rules about what is allowed to be done in a
service pack recently.

Originally, a patch or service pack could not add new features or capability to
the product.  It could only fix
defects.  This meant that any enhanced capability could not be added except in
new product releases which
means that to get anything that was not directly a bug fix, you had to wait for
a future release and then
upgrade to that release.

There were many cases where minor RFEs solved problems and added significant
value for customers.  So,
the rules were changed to allow the addition of a level of new features and
capabilities.

This is a GOOD thing for you.  You get access to enhancements much faster and
without having to upgrade
to future releases.

Now, the problem is that when you look at 7.6.04 sp5 which was just released
and which has some
enhancements that were not in the product before, the 8.1 release happened
months ago.  Obviously, those
enhancements are not in that release because it is already shipped.

All changes added to a service pack for an earlier release are rolled into the
service pack process for later
releases and into future product deliveries.

So, the warning, if you upgrade to 7.6.04 sp5, there are going to be features
and capabilities that are new
to the release.  If you use them, you cannot upgrade to 8.1 base release
because those features and
capabilities that are new ARE NOT THERE.  They will all be there in the next
service pack release on the 8.1
system.  It is important to remind you that you are getting NEW features and
NEW capabilities in this
maintenance release of an older product version that are only available in
appropriate maintenance releases
of later product versions.  If you move to an earlier version of a later
release, these extra capabilities will
not be present.

The alternative....  go back to the rules that NO new features or enhancements
or capabilities can be added
to a service pack so that there is no issue of upgrading to a new release that
was released before new
features were added because none were added.

I think you will agree that the new model is better.

By the way, if you simply DO NOT USE any new feature or capability of the new
service pack, you can move
forward to any later version and have no issue.  That is another option you
have.

I hope this explanation has helped,

Doug Mueller