From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG> on
behalf of Raj <ravi6...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:05 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Using BPCU while ARS Upgrade?

**
Thanks everyone for their responses.

Spent quite some time reading on posts related to Overlays, BPCU, Developer
Studio 7.6.04, etc...and trying to understand what all it means and implies.
Here's the situation I am in now(lil' confused), need some advise from experts
in here:
As mentioned in the original post - [While running the upgrade installer to
v7.6.04(from v7.1), we had to delete User and Group forms(without this step upg
installer was failing) and installer recreated them again. During this process
we lost customizations to User & Group form(s).]
-User form - recreated by Installer OOTB - converted to overlay - added custom
fields...done.
-Customizations - We had some customizations around user onboarding process
which uses Outer Join between SHR:People and User(SHRCFG:OuterJoinPeopleUser).
It appeared to be that this form was part of OOTB Remedy in version 5 and in my
company, we heavily used this form for customizations and created customer user
onboarding process. But looks like in later versions on Remedy BMC dropped this
join form.
In short, I am on ARS v7.6.04 with User, SHR:People and
SHRCFG:OuterJoinPeopleUser as Overlays and some workflow which I had to modify
and re-import/modify as Overlays.(Manually created overlays)

Based on the above info, I have couple of questions:
1. Upgrade to ARS v8.1. Is it ok to upgrade to ARS v8.1 with only the above
listed forms/workflow as Overlays and rest all are still as Base(Customization
Type - Unmodified). As BMC recommends to convert either into Overlays or Custom
objects(Ideally). But read some posts where folks encountered issues while
using BPCU and had to do manual rework later on. Basically, would like to avoid
these issues and manual work and hence do not want to run BPCU/or convert into
Overlays or Custom objects.
Did anyone had the same situation where only few objects you converted to
Overlays & Custom but most you left to Base(Unmodified) and have gone through
successful upgrade to ARS v8.1(or 8.0, etc)
2. Future Customizations: Now since I have mix of objects some are Overlays and
most are still Base(Unmodified), how to decide to do custom development going
forward. So e.g., If customization is needed later on - add some workflow to
join form SHRCFG:OuterJoinPeopleUser(Overlaid) - it is not available in Base
Development Mode(BD) so do I just do it in Best Practice Customization(BPC)
Mode or convert it from Overlay to Base and go to BD mode and then do
development. So,basically it is kind of challenge to juggle between Base
Development Mode and Best Practice Customization mode to do development for a
same feature.

Sorry for the long post, still trying to understand on Overlays...

Please advise.
Regards,
Raj
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this e-mail and its attachments
contain confidential information belonging to the sender, which is legally
privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or action in reliance upon the contents of
the information transmitted is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
information in error, please delete it immediately.