Upgrading ARS is pretty straight forward compared to the ITSM Suite.  You do
have the ability to "flatten/convert" objects to base mode.  In 8.1 you can
also convert unmodified to custom.  I posted about this awhile back.  There are
some risks with this when patching.  If you create a custom form called FormA
and BMC has a patch that now has a BMC FormA your form may be lost.  If you
have good naming conventions this is more than likely not going to happen.  The
good thing about ARS is you have the flexability to do whatever you want.  The
bad things is you can do whatever you want.

In base mode you will not see your overlays and custom code.  That's what base
mode is.  It allows you to see your base system without customizations, so you
can't add a field to an form in Best Practice mode using overlays and then move
to Base Mode and add that field to an active link.  You would have to be in
Best Practice mode.  Mixing modes will probably lead to issues.  Hopefully,
your systems are really well documented.

As far as using BPCU tool it's probably not the best approach if there is a
huge gap in versions.  I would analyze all the customizations to see if you can
replace them with out of box functionality and manually bring over the
customizations you want.

Going fresh with ITSM isn't a bad idea.  Most organizations only implement a
small set of features the ITSM Suite has to offer.  If organizations
implemented 100% without customizations they would have a smokin system.
Unless I'm doing integrations I try my best to stay away from customizations.
I leave ITSM development to BMC and Third Party Vendors that have cool plugins.
 Don't get me wrong I can develop with the best of them and some times it seems
easier to customize/develop, but now I try to look at long term strategic
decisions for the business.  I have seen more people get upset about the cost
of upgrades then I have seen people upset that the ITSM Suite doesn't have abc
functionality built in.