Lisa and others,

There have been a number of responses to this message - from support to
alternate options.

The suggestion you have was considered, but it has serious limitations.

What if you wanted the system message AND your message?
What if you wanted a warning instead of an error?
What if you wanted no error but to put a default value in the field?
What if you wanted to send a notification but still error?
What if you wanted to send a notification, set a default, and NOT error?
What if you wanted to ......

Just saying you want to have a message is very limiting and just handles one
permutation of what people
want to do.

And, there are issues like

What about localization?  Suddenly there is a new place errors can come from
and localization needs to be
addressed.

There is already a mechanism to handle all these different options - workflow.

And, in FILTERS, there is a clean mechanism to have the logic triggered - the
error handler functionality.

This functionality allows you to specify a filter to be called if the current
filter encounters an error.  Then, you
can do ANYTHING you want in that filter - including calling guides and multiple
actions.

In addition, it has a number of important characteristics:

If you match the "run if" condition of the error handler, the error that was
encountered is suppressed.  The
error condition disappears and the error itself disappears.  You then execute
the actions on the if branch and
then continue with the filter following the original filter as if no error
occurred.  So, you do not get double
errors under this condition as the system error is suppressed (if you are
seeing the system error in addition
still, that is a bug).

if you do not, the error encountered is retained, but the else branch (if any)
still runs and the actions there
can do whatever you want.  When they complete, the workflow terminates with the
error.

Your actions in either branch can be anything - including issuing another error.

In addition, there are keywords that let you test the error number if you want
to take action only on
specific error numbers (like in this case, a no match error you want to handle
but something else like a
syntax or DB error you don't).

Now, this sounds perfect.  EXCEPT, error handlers are available for filters at
this time but not for active links.

Now, if your proposal is to add error handlers to active links.....  That is a
terrific idea and it provides all the
flexibility you are looking for.

But, to just handle one special condition by adding a special way to handle one
path is not that exciting.  It is
limiting to your flexibility at minimal savings of definition.  And, to do it,
you would need a multi-match error
error message and then push fields would need the special handling for each and
then....  It just spirals and
has no end, and you have handled one limited set of conditions.  The error
handler handles everything in one
clean, generic way with as much flexibility for processing as you could ever
need.

For those of you looking for handling within filters, check out the
documentation around this feature, I think
you will find it can do what you need.

For those needing it on the client side, this feature is not present within
active links at this time.  I personally
wish it was, but it is not.

Doug Mueller