Tom,

OK, I am going to get myself into some trouble here, but I just cannot resist.
And it is lunchtime so I'm supposed to have a few minutes...

I assume you are talking about Incidents as in the ICS or Incident Command
System
model and standard.

For all you out there who ask, what is ICS?  It is a set of procedures and
processes that have been defined to respond to Incidents.

Now, to avoid confusion of terms, the term Incident in this set of processes is
not what you are thinking.  It is not "a server is throwing errors" or "there is
a network storm" or "a disc drive is full".  An Incident is

   -- The building is on fire
   -- An earthquake (tornado/supply your own disaster) just hit

I mean, we are talking an INCIDENT here.

There are people with roles -- Incident Commander, Press Relations, ....  There
are
procedures for handover between people when they are "going off shift".  There
may
be 100s or 1000s of tasks to manage and track.  Escalations are very different
if
someone doesn't respond.  You are talking 1 to 2 minutes before something
escalates
to the next person if the first person doesn't respond (and then anyone in the
chain can respond and they have it and others are notified to never mind).

You have tasks with things like shut off the gas with details like where
wrenches
are and attachments with blueprints to show where the gas valve is located.

You have the need for repeatitive task groups -- like you may have a set of
tasks
that you do to "evacuate a classroom at a school" and you want to run that set
of
tasks "for each classroom" all in parallel.  All with tracking and management
and
a consolidated view of status and what has been done and what is pending.

You need to throw new tasks into the mix at a moments notice and have it fit
into
the mix of everything going on.

Oh, and you need to be able to test things so you need a "simulation mode" so
you
can run drills -- and with that you have automated tasks in the mix that you
need
to be able to mark to "not really run, but pretend you did the step" IF in
simulation mode but do the real thing if this is a real INCIDENT.  (when is the
last time you "simulated" an IT Incident and the response to it????)

OK, so this is a little different than an IT Incident we are all familiar with.

With all this, no, this is not the sweet spot for ITSM.  Could you use aspects
of
things to try and manage smaller situations?  Sure.  But, there are many aspects
of the overall process that are not covered.

Now, I am not aware of a product on the market that helps with this.  There are
number that are oriented toward helping you write a disaster response plan (and
that is important) but nothing to help you "run a disaster response".

10 years ago, a lot of work was done to research this area and we actually built
a product that did all of the above.  It was called the Crisis Response System.
It is an AR System application that was written to follow the ICS response model
and allow you to encode a response to your disaster plans and to manage the
response.

The tasking subsystem of ITSM was a subset extracted from this product.

Unfortunately, this application is no longer offered.  We got good response to
the
capabilities from customers but they came back with "can you help us write our
disaster plan" as the request.  They were struggling to get it written and to
have
a response plan at all much less automating the response.  We got good feedback
that the tool solved the response problem, but they struggled (and still do)
with
what actually are the steps and what should the do.

A couple of copies of this are out there -- someone reading this note may be one
of the customers who have the solution.

This is the type of solution you are looking for if you are looking for an ICS
Incident response system.

It was a cool application that did many things that were very advanced with the
system 10 years ago.  Most of which would hold up today -- although I would
probably replace the form and fields that were used to show the people and
assigned
responsibilities with a DVF plugin that was a bit more dynamic than
showing/hiding
fields as one example of a change.

So, can this type of thing be done with the system -- ABSOLUTELY and it has been
done before.  This is a specialized process that is quite different from a
standard
ITSM process in many ways and so deserves a separate process to fully do it
justice.

Now, maybe you are looking for something that is a bit less than "earthquake" or
"building on fire" type incidents or something a bit less than the full ICS
model
response and then it is a matter of what are you looking at and what level of
features and capabilities are needed to model your process.  Then, what portions
of ITSM most closely match the model and can they fit within the vision without
warping the system too dramatically.

Anyway, I have discussed my pet application enough for today.  I still have a
fondness for this application and what it was able to do and how quickly it was
constructed with a very focused staff.

Oh well, lunch is over, back to your normal programming.....

Doug Mueller