Meta-Update is not yet a BMC Software Tested and Supported Tool – I believe
that those are two different things.  I have been called about it and am
investigating it now.

We have certainly quite a few customers willing to give references, have been a
BMC partner for years, and have also migrated data for BMC – some time ago, I
think an ITSM 6.1 to 7.1.  It was certainly with the Asset form – pre CMDB.  At
that time, the foundation data was imported by BMC through a forerunner  of
what turned into the data management tool.

With Meta-Update, one of our first customers was able to migrate from 5.5 with
a “heavily customized, multi-tenancy ITSM” to 7.1 – by themselves, even
migrating SLA to SLM data against my recommendation.  (I said that the concepts
had changed and it would be better if they manually create them)

We successfully migrated a running Clarify Help Desk to a running ITSM so that
after Clarify was shut down on Friday, the analysis came in on ITSM with new
logins, a new GUI, but their tickets and tasks waiting for them J

We have successfully migrated an ITSM 7 to 8.1 including all foundation data,
product and operational catalogues, ticket data, even changing Changes of type
Release to the Release module, with the changes Tasks becoming Activities.

All this for a company that changed its name and went from a single Operating
Company to nine  along with its people, a reorganisation of the CTI, Support
Groups,  etc.

This resulted in our
<http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/product/PkgMigItsm/index.html> ITSM migration
package – a set of almost 100 scripts and a 150 page document, that explains
how to use the scripts, set up Excel mapping files, and tailor the scripts to
your wishes.

Obviously, when all internal references are to remain the same, none of this
complexity is required, and a single, simple, Meta-Update script will handle
any table:

[Table-Copy]

Query     = @Source-Server, Source,  $Arg, Table-Name$, $Arg, Query$

Update    = Target, $Arg, Table Name$, ‘1’ = “$Source, 1$”

AssignNew = Table-Copy-AsgNew

Assign    = Table-Copy-Asg

Merge     = Yes, NoWorkflow

[Table-Copy-AsgNew]

@Cmd      = Copy, Source

[Table-Copy-Asg]

@Cmd      = Copy, Source, Skip: 179, 1

That’s more or less the only script needed.  (In fact, the script is a tad more
complex, there may not be a 179 for example, but a customer wrote the script.)

The good thing is that Meta-Update now comes with an  “Automation Script”.
This fires and tracks jobs of transfers in multi-threaded batches.   Yes, any
transfer through the API will take time compared with SQL, and with a tool like
Meta-Update, which offers unparalleled, simple access to Remedy data, be slower
still.

But the Automation script does take the pain out of it, and gives you control
over dates, batches, etc.

One company archived millions of backlogs tickets etc in one month and the
automation script runs monthly for about 24 hours.  Each archive ticket is
checked for associations preventing archival, and is archived in a complete
tree with all dependencies before deletion.

Scripts can be simple like the above, or complex, like the one that takes
changes of type release (and their tasks, associations, and converts them and
all their dependencies to the release module with activities, manifests and
associations.

Luckily, Meta-Update does include a single stepping, breakpoint debugger.

Meta-Update has an extremely light foot print.  No server changes are needed at
all.  Simply unzip and set up your Remedy Access and you’re good to go.

Take a look or a try.  Trials are free, are the full package, including a very
useful query, delete, and schema utility (used for our freebie ITSM Forms and
Fields spreadsheets), come with a
<http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/product/SthMupd/mupd_liveinstall.html> Live
Install, and are only limited by time (but are expected to be for a development
machine).  Included are a query, delete, and schema utility.

As an Ozzie consultant once said, “I love Meta Update and still believe every
large Remedy implementation team must have it in their kitty.”

Cheers,

Ben Chernys
Senior Software Architect
logoSthInc-sm

Canada / Deutschland
Mobile:      +49 171 380 2329    GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:        <mailto:Ben.Chernys_AT_softwaretoolhouse.com>
Ben.Chernys_AT_softwaretoolhouse.com
Web:          <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> www.softwaretoolhouse.com

We are a BMC Technology Alliance Partner

Check out Software Tool House's free Diary Editor and our  Freebies Section for
ITSM Forms and Fields spreadsheet.

Meta-Update, our premium ARS Data tool, lets you automate your imports,
migrations, in no time at all, without programming, without staging forms,
without merge workflow.

Meta-Archive does ITSM Archiving your way: with your forms and your
multi-tenant rules, treating each root request as the tree of data and forms
that it is it is.

Pre ITSM 7.6.04?  Clarify?  Roll your own?  No problem!

You can keep your valuable data!

 <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/