Steven Pauwels wrote:
I took a look at the style draft and these are some of my findings:

- Is the style document for OOo in general only or should it be used for the components too? If so, the specs for the components are not sufficient.
The components are not separate from OOo; it's an "all or nothing" package. Therefore, the marketing needs to be consistent. The guidelines for OOo in general apply to promoting individual components as a part of OOo, with the listed exceptions for colors.

Incidentally, the style guide is in dire need of updating since we do have files on-line now. I think Bernard and I were doing the bulk of it, but it's kinda fallen off my radar recently due to the demands of opening my new practice. :-)

- My experience in both the directive and practical work relationship with 'artists and designers' has learned me that the guidelines for any style can not be specific enough. The true designer is the one that is creative within the set bounderies and it is my oppinion that these should be as strict for the graphical elements as they are for the text elements. At this point, I find this not to be the case.

When guiding a community it is of crucial importance to set very strict but realistic bouderies, guides and specs. eg: "Go play!" is a clear parenting hint to a 5 year old. So it seems. The 5 year old will ask: "With what?" So the hint should be: go play with that?? No. The hint should be; Go play with that in this way. (Go play woth your Duplo ans make daddy a nice -whatever favourite animal the kid has or whatever thing he or she was last fascinated by -)
Style specs should be:
- These are the ghraphical elements, colors, fonts, specs and guidelines. You can do this and that with them. You CAN NOT do this or that with them. Within these limits, feel free to experiment. There should be seperate style guidelines for each medium!.
While that's all true in a corporate environment--and I would agree wholeheartedly in that context--working with volunteers in an open source environment is a completely different animal. There's no way to truly enforce standards, and most of the people doing the work are probably not going to be professionals. They do not understand the importance of strict guidelines and become easily frustrated with "bureaucracy" interfering with their artistic impulses. (Bear in mind that open source projects share, to some extent, an attitude and sensibility of anarchy.) At the point where guidelines are perceived to be overbearing or draconian, volunteers either just ignore the guidelines altogether or stop volunteering their time. The biggest lesson I gleaned from my time making a living as the coordinator of a non-profit volunteer program is that there's a real balance that has to be struck between providing guidance and not restricting creative freedom. That's the balance the current guidelines attempt to achieve.

If I had my druthers, the style guide would be extremely detailed to the point where it almost micromanaged every piece produced, right down to what kind of paper would be used for printed pieces and how they would be arranged. However, that's not realistic in this type of environment.

- When creating a specific task or posting a demand for a logo, banner, button or any other, the specifics for that use should be included. fi: within the limits for the style for printed promotional media we would like you to create a layout for a RV Triplet 4A flyer, to be distributed at exhibits or shows and thus meeting its specific needs. In addition to the style for printed promotional media, we would like you to introduce one new colour on a maximum of a 3th of the RV triplet A4 for the introduction of the 2006 OOo conference. If witheld, this colour will then be used when creating the 2006 OOo conference style.
Creating specific guidelines for every single use would be a monumental and ultimately futile task, because there are an infinite number of pieces that may or may not need to be produced. Typically what happens for web banners et al is that volunteers decide sua sponte to throw them together for fun. For printed pieces, there's usually a specific need, and the person who has the need either puts the piece together herself or requests someone to do so. Again, there's not a structured corporate environment here with separate departments and managers and such. Nobody is handed "assignments" with an art sheet that lists requirements. Thus, the guidelines are meant to be very general to allow people who don't know what an "RV triplet" is the greatest flexibility possible while keeping at least a minimum of consistency.

Overall oppinion: I like OOo. I do not like the name, the website, its fuzzyness, ... I do not know the people behind it all so for now; I like them all :-p
It may be that the the name doesn't translate well in Dutch, and the NL project may need to think about a better translation of the name. I don't know. The name, I think, is fine (although I hate the ".org" as part of the product name). I agree that the website could be more promotional in nature, and possibly could use some re-organization (part of the problem of large, sprawling projects like this which are, essentially, done by committee is that they tend to be sprawling and disorganized), but that's about the extent of my criticism of it.

--
Steven Shelton
Twilight Media & Design