On Thursday 08 October 2009 10:52:11 Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> Hi Graham, Jens, all,
>
> Graham Lauder schrieb:
> > On Thursday 08 October 2009 03:26:50 Jens Habermann wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> A short time frame for sure, but I will contribute my ideas over next
> >> weeks.
> >>
> >> Until we have a main wiki site for this task, I will place images on
> >> my wiki user site http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:JensGH
> >>
> >> Jens
> >
> > Let's start it in a dedicated part of the wiki.  Start a new page called
> > New_logo_proposals or pizza_order or whatever just so long as we keep it
> > all together.
>
> + 1
>
> > Rules?
> >
> > CC license?
>
> I would prefer LGPL.

LGPL it is then

> If any of the proposals (I'd call them "design ideas" for the moment)
> would be integrated in the main product some day, it's license should be
> compatible with the product.

"Design ideas" "Design Concepts" or "Conceptual Branding".  All sound good
seeing as how haven't actually had an RFP!  :)

> > and any text has to be in a Free font, no nonfree fonts allowed?
>
> +1
>
> > That looks like enough
>
>  From marketing POV and with regard to visual (corporate) identity I'd
> like to see some more points to be taken into account:
>
> - the logo should look serious and professional (remember that
> governments and large
>
> - provide graphical elements that can be used for our branding
>
> - please don't alienate users and supporters of OOo who feel familiar
> with the present logo. Some kind of recognition might be appropriate IMHO.

Let's let it be free as we possibly can at the moment, I think everyone will
have the above in mind in any case so it goes without saying.  At this point
in the process we are dealing with the "Show Version" like carmakers do for
car shows.  It probably won't make it to production exactly as is but it may
influence it broadly.

> > Should we make an effort to put them in context as well.  Like as it is
> > on the website, stationery, webbanners?
>
> I'd keep with the logo - time is short already.
>
> > Are we going to stick with the blue corporate color?
>
> I'd like to see the OOoblue (RGB 6,52, 140) as part of the logo - this
> would help us to keep at least parts of our visual identity...
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

The other option is come up with a couple schemas and then we all have a shot
at variations on that theme.  So for instance (and please everyone feel free
to shoot these down and substitute your own)

Use the present Icon colours only and 6-52-140
A Gull type bug and/or the reverse "S"
and use the "liberation" font set.

And we set a time frame... say two weeks from today to have something nailed
down.

I would suggest also making notes of your design inspirations and reasoning in
the same way as you would if you were doing a branding pitch to a client.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

Ambassador for OpenSUSE Linux on your Desktop

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org.nz