On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Grzegorz Kasprowicz
<gkasp...@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
> Maybe we should come back to the roots:)
> What if we use standard FMCs (LPC) with DAC/ADC channels and RF stuff _on_
> them.
> JESD204B and some pins would go to the FPGA while DAC and RF clock would be
> fed externally.
> In this way we leave general purpose AMC board and define its functionality
> by FMC boards
> If we make 3 flavours of FMCs: ADC+ADC, ADC+DAC,DAC+DAC, we would cover
> several use cases:
> Quad ADC, quad DAC, 1xADC 3xDAC, 3xADC 1xDAC.
> FMCs with only DAC and RF stuff on it can be simple, 4 layer boards with
> external sield.
> Look at this shield (my project)
> http://www.ohwr.org/projects/fmc-adc-130m-16b-4cha/wiki
> In this way we could use existing AFCK for quick tests

I was about to suggest that we consider doing that as well.

In the end the DAC/ADC can be on the mezzanine. It doesn't matter much
in terms of cost. It makes shielding much easier and much more
efficient, gets rid of all coax board-to-board connectors (which saves
a lot of space again), allows testing on other carrier platforms,
allows usage of other mezzanines. The only downside is that a standard
FMC does not have much space. But maybe that's fine.

Robert.