Hi,

With some of you we have discussed (even suggested) the use of the
auto-increase number of streams feature of the RT4 interface.
The background to this feature is that RT4 needs the scattering matrix to
be properly resolved in order to conserve the scattered energy
satisfactorily. Using the feature, the number of streams is internally(!)
increased until the scattering matrix resolution is deemed sufficient.

The crucial issue, i just got reminded of when i went through the code, is
that this increase is only done internally. the output will remain on the
original number of streams set!

That means, *one should not start with a very low number of streams* and
should not let the system completely self-adapt (as, strictly speaking,
that's not what it is doing - the output dimensions won't adapt and will
always remain the original/starting number of streams) (i'm going to add
that info to the online doc).

It should be kept in mind, that - unlike Disort - neither RT4 nor ARTS
itself have good interpolation options for "off-stream" angles, i.e. the
number of streams RT4 is set up with does not only determine the RT4
solution accuracy (this is improved/adapted with the auto-increase
feature), but also the number of output directions (not affected by
auto-increase), hence the accuracy with which the field is known to and
further applied within other WSM of ARTS.

Best wishes,
Jana

Ps.  Something more for developers...

Thinking about that, this seems quite inconvenient. So, the question what
to do about it, how to change that. Two possible solutions pop into my head:

(1) instead of interpolating the high-stream-solution to the low number of
streams, we could interpolate everything to the highest number of streams
and output the "high-resolution" field.

(2) re-define (doit_)i_field from Tensor7 into a ArrayOfTensor6 with one
Tensor6 entry per freq. this would allow to have different angular
dimensions per frequency (we'd need to also store the angles per each
frequency). however, that would affect the output of other solvers, too,
and the way (doit_)i_field is applied in (i)yCalc.

so, option (1) seems less of a hassle.

neither option will solve all issues (like, even if the radiation field is
quite smooth, linear interpolation from low-resolution fields won't be very
good and higher-order interpolation intrinsically requires, well, higher
numbers of streams), but at least some (like better conserving the shape of
the radiation field, where derived from higher number of streams).

any opinions? do you consider this an issue at all, or is a cautionary note
in the documentation enough? if an issue, any better ideas on solutions or
opinions on "my" two options?

and, anyone other than me willing to implement possible changes?