Dear Simon,

thanks for the summary!

I think I understand more or less how this works now. A bit unfortunate that so much information has to be moved around at the controlfile level. (The copying of grids from one variable to the other, the copying of the scattering data themselves.) Is the idea that you would then in practise store and load directly the ScatteringHabits, in order to make this easier?

On where the Rayleigh scattering fits in: Patrick suggested when we talked yesterday that perhaps a more logical way to think about this is to distinguish between *gases* and *particles*, rather than between *absorption* and *scattering*. (Including Rayleigh scattering with the PND system really does not work, as it turns out, as it depends on pressure.)

Perhaps we should move towards a *gas* / *particle* division in ARTS. That would mean including the Liebe rain absorption in the particle part. It would also affect your nomenclature, since one should then preferably talk about *ParticleSpecies* rather than *ScatteringSpecies*. (And *gas_species* instead of *absorption_species*.)

All the best,

Stefan