Simon, Stefan,

It seems to me that this is a proposal of using a modern "void *"
list/vector with some strict interface.  Have I misunderstood something
here?  I mean you might implement it with virtual classes, std::variant, or
some other reinterpreting interface but that seems about it.

I am not going to argue for the scattering implementation here because I
assume you guys know the current interface well enough and have ideas of
how to easily extend it using the new and old methods.  Perhaps the strict
interface helps here.

I would not mind having a "void *" list/vector in the LBL code but I am
very wary about the strict interface requirements here.  I would be much
more accepting if we could just get some kind of "const ClassImpl&" back
from the "void *" list.  Then the different methods can much more easily
know if they need to write to src or not, to a PropagationMatrix interface
or to an ArrayOfMatrix interface.

I don't like the idea of separating this by species in the LBL though.  It
would be much better to separate it by the types of calculations necessary
(the SpeciesTag-enum + the Absorption::PopulationType enum for LBL).  That
way you could probably allow pre-allocations of all allocated variables
used by the algorithms taking the class without having to worry too much
about the memory footprint and leaving deallocation or reuse up to the user
(a cleanup method or more in the Agenda).

That said, I think it is quite a daunting task to change things this way.
And I am not sure how easy it is to take Simon's idea and use it with
value-semantics.

With hope,
//Richard