Patrick,

I think it doesn't make sense to switch to this in ARTS.  In fact, I don't
think it makes sense to use it at at all unless you want a fixed
low-altitude model.

It does make a lot of sense to provide some level of automation to take
care of the adjustments for fixed low-altitude models, but it's not that
easy elsewhere.

First issue.  Even on Earth, a constant VMR is not OK at higher altitudes.
You have only 20% O2 at 80 km, and less above.  So the dry values has to be
provided as a profile to make any sense.  This is a minor inconvenience.

Second issue, is the pressure grid/field going to be the dry pressure?  It
has to be, otherwise x * P / k T is no longer the number density required
for absorption strength.  I don't see how you can work around this.

Third issue, related strongly to the second issue.  This means that
pressure broadening calculations can no longer rescale to 1-VMR, and that
the VMR profile must be 1 or higher at all altitudes for each of the
absorption lines pressure broadening species.  This is a deep change, as we
can no longer have the meaning of air be "everything required to add up to
1-VMR".  It would be a lot of effort to fix this.

Lastly, and perhaps a bit too philosophical.  Given the same temperature
profile, if you add water to the atmosphere, the actual mixing ratio of all
the other species goes down.  Their number densities or relative pressure
are the ones that are supposed to remain somewhat constant.  It seems to me
therefore that if anything should be changed in ARTS, it's that we
shouldn't be using VMR but instead number densities.  This would certainly
simplify absorption strength calculations, but take quite a bit of effort
to fix in broadening calculations.

With hope,
//Richard