Dear Patrick,

Thanks for giving me some of your time.

I want to simulate a radio link where the transmitter is in orbit and the
receiver is on Earth's surface. More specifically, I want to simulate the
attenuation due to gases, different types of clouds (ice and water) and
rain/snow. The frequency range that I am interested is roughly from 90 GHz
to 275 GHz.

I actually switched already to the latest development version and was able
to run my simulation on Monday without any errors. What I did was that I
interpolated the chevalier data to the simulation grid that I am using as
follows:

GriddedField3Create( chevallier_data )
ReadXML( chevallier_data,
"Chevallier_91L/cirrus/Chevallier91L.cirrus.CIW.xml" )
GriddedFieldPRegrid( chevallier_data, p_grid, chevallier_data, 1, 1 )
GriddedFieldLatLonExpand( chevallier_data, chevallier_data )
GriddedFieldLatLonRegrid( chevallier_data, my_lat_grid, my_lon_grid,
chevallier_data, 1 )
WriteXML("ascii", chevallier_data, "interpolated.xml" )

Then I converted the interpolated data to a tensor4 using a python script.
I also had to modify the density fields so that they are zeros outside and
at the edges of the cloud box. This was very cumbersome and I was left
wondering if there was a simpler way to do it.

Then I was able to import the mass density fields in the simulation using
the available workspace variables and run the simulation with some minor
modifications and adding these commands:

cloudboxSetFullAtm
pnd_fieldCalcFromscat_speciesFields

Two important notes that I could not find in the user manual or
online documentation:
- The maximum size of the cloud box in latitude and longitude grids is 20
degrees of the edges of the simulation grid
- The density fields must cover the whole latitude/longitude area of the
simulation grid

Now I am trying to figure out if the results I am getting are reasonable or
not.

I am just starting to learn microwave propagation in the atmosphere,
and this tool seems like a good way to help me do it. I appreciate making
this project open source.

Regards,
Sampo