Assimilation, anyone?

I bravo this column.  Enjoy:

______________________________________

The Politically Incorrect Americanism of Alba, Pacino, and Arnold

By Mary Katharine Ham
Tuesday, June 19, 2007


Hablas Espanol? 

Jessica Alba doesn't. Is there anything wrong with that? Apparently 
so. 

The third-generation American and actress is under fire this week 
from fellow Latinos for comments she made to Para Todos magazine: 

Alba is my last name and I'm proud of that. But that's it. My 
grandparents were born in California, the same as my parents, and 
though I may be proud of my last name, I'm American. Throughout my 
whole life, I've never felt connected to one particular race or 
heritage, nor did I feel accepted by any. If you break it down, I'm 
less Latina than Cameron Diaz, whose father is Cuban. But people 
don't call her Latina because she's blonde… 

My grandfather was the only Mexican at his college, the only 
Hispanic person at work and the only one at the all-white country 
club. He tried to forget his Mexican roots, because he never wanted 
his kids to be made to feel different in America. He and my 
grandmother didn't speak Spanish to their children. Now, as a third-
generation American, I feel as if I have finally cut loose. 

My whole life, when I was growing up, not one race has ever accepted 
me, ... So I never felt connected or attached to any race 
specifically. I had a very American upbringing, I feel American, and 
I don't speak Spanish. So, to say that I'm a Latin actress, OK, but 
it's not fitting; it would be insincere.


She never felt connected to any race, specifically, but she always 
felt American. That doesn't sounds like a bad thing, does it? And 
yet, it is, in the eyes of many activists. 

One blog post on the comments remarks, "Guess sell-outs come in all 
races and sizes." Another calls it a "disturbing hoard of quotes." 
Another claims she "hates Mexicans." 

Comments about Alba's comments include, "F**K YOU THEN, JESSICA…VIVA 
LA RAZA!!!," "She should just change her last name to White, then," 
and "I thought she could be a good role model for Latinas, but she 
is a fake, tryin' to be white." 

Alba wasn't trying to make a political statement. Instead, she 
sounds like she was trying to avoid speaking for an entire ethnicity 
and many recent immigrants when she barely speaks Spanish, and 
identifies as an American first. But because she didn't reflexively 
take upon herself her ethnic mantle and collective responsibility, 
she's bashed as a traitor to her race. 

Elsewhere, a phenomenally successful first-generation immigrant was 
sharing his secret to success in America, which was much the same as 
the approach Alba's college-educated grandfather took. When 
addressing the national Association of Hispanic Journalists, and 
responding to question about how Hispanics can improve academically, 
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said: 


"You've got to turn off the Spanish television set" and avoid 
Spanish-language television, books and newspapers, the Republican 
governor said Wednesday night… 

"You're just forced to speak English, and that just makes you learn 
the language faster," Schwarzenegger said. 

"I know this sounds odd and this is the politically incorrect thing 
to say, and I'm going to get myself in trouble," he said, noting 
that he rarely spoke German and was forced to learn English when he 
emigrated from Austria.


The response from those in attendance? 


"I'm sitting shaking my head not believing that someone would be so 
naive and out of it that he would say something like that," said 
Alex Nogales, president and chief executive of the National Hispanic 
Media Coalition.

Naïve, out-of-it, hateful, traitorous. There is a large segment of 
the country that believes it's somehow disrespectful to emphasize 
assimilation among new immigrants to the country. 

And, it's not just among leftist activists and left-coast gossip 
bloggers that this idea prevails. Just last year, Sen. Harry Reid 
called a proposal to make English the official language of 
America "racist,"  despite the fact that a large majority of 
Americans support such a measure. 

More recently, Barack Obama called the very discussion of English as 
an official language, "divisive" during a Democratic debate: 


I have to say that this is the kind of question that is designed 
precisely to divide us. You know, you're right: everybody is going 
to learn to speak English if they live in this country. The issue is 
not whether or not future generations of immigrants are going to 
learn English. The question is, how can we come up with both a legal 
and sensible immigration policy? And when we get distracted by those 
kinds of questions, I think we do a disservice to the American 
people.


But is everyone going to learn English, Sen. Obama? It seems that 
Schwarzenegger's encouragement of English-language immersion for 
immigrants and Alba's family's decision to speak English only are 
put down in pretty harsh terms by folks on your own side of the 
aisle. 

The movement to make English the official language of America is, in 
part, a response to the Left's active discouragement of 
assimilation. Even the idea of the "melting pot" went out of style 
when I was in grade school, replaced in text books by the less 
offensive "mosaic." You see, now we don't do anything so gauche as 
melt into one, cohesive society. Instead, we are all obligated to 
hold onto our various ethnic and cultural identities and languages, 
building little barriers between communities, lest we be accused 
of "selling out" or trying to be too "white." 

There is certainly a way to assimilate without losing all touch with 
one's culture. Being American does not mean 
being "white." "American" is, by definition, many colors and 
characteristics. But the strength of America has always been in 
creating Americans of all colors and characteristics, not all colors 
and characters who happen to live in America. 

The English language and cultural assimilation are unifying forces, 
economic passports, essential parts of preserving the American dream 
and all its blessings for everyone who comes to our shores. 

When talking about comprehensive immigration reform, some have 
compared today's illegal immigrants—the challenges and the 
prejudices they face—to legal immigration of Italians and Irishmen 
and others who came through Ellis Island just a few generations ago. 
But those same people conveniently overlook that anti-assimilation 
forces in America weren't nearly so strong at that time. 

Al Pacino is a second-generation American whose grandparents 
emigrated from Sicily, but despite living in his grandparents' home, 
he speaks no Italian. Would anyone accuse that iconic Baby Boomer of 
being a traitor to his ethnicity? Well, he better watch out, if he 
keeps talking like this: 


Explain to me what Italian-American culture is. We've been here 100 
years. Isn't Italian-American culture American culture? That's 
because we're so diverse, in terms of intermarriage. Most everybody 
who's Italian is half Italian. Except me. I'm all Italian. I'm 
mostly Sicilian, and I have a little bit of Neapolitan in me. You 
get your full dose with me.


Alba, Schwarzenegger and Pacino have got it right. Their concern is 
with becoming successful, individual Americans, not with specious 
collective responsibilities imparted to them by their skin colors, 
accents, or surnames. As a result, they have all done both America 
and their ancestors proud. They are all walking, talking, acting 
illustrations of the American dream in action. 

When considering legalizing 12 million illegal immigrants, Congress 
should consider seriously the fact that the walking, talking 
American dream is now politically incorrect. That doesn't bode well 
for its survival.
 

Mary Katharine Ham is the managing editor for Townhall.com




 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AsburyPark/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AsburyPark/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to