On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Pavel Jurus wrote:

> On Sunday 28 January 2007 22:26, Stuart Rackham wrote:
> > Dag Wieers wrote:
> > >
> > > I think what is needed is to allow the asciidoc-library to be used as a
> > > backend to python-based wiki's. For that there should be a usable
> > > interface for asciidoc. (eg. a loadable asciidoc module maybe)
> > >
> > > I haven't looked at the code yet if it is possible. But if it isn't I
> > > don't think it would be a lot of work to do it.
> >
> > One thing that may be worth mentioning, asciidoc can act as a filter and
> > along with the -s option you can markup a text stream. For example try:
> >
> > echo '*Hello World!*' | asciidoc -s -
> >
> > Not very sophisticated but may be useful as a proof of concept.
>
> I use asciidoc in wiki-like fashion. I wanted something simple as a personal
> wiki - I don't need neither collaborative features of wiki nor revision
> control ( I use subversion for that ). After trying several wiki engines and
> web frameworks I ended up with a simple webpy application similar to
> http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2006/01/06/a-simple-wiki-with-webpy/ .
> Instead of markdown in that example I use asciidoc and it works very well so
> far.
>
> The only hack was to link /usr/bin/asciidoc to asciidoc.py in the directory
> of
> web.py application. Now I can simply "import asciidoc" and use it as a python
> module, I call for example
> "asciidoc.asciidoc('xhtml11', 'article', (), page, '<stdout>', ())"
> from my python code and display the result as a web page. This means, that I
> have directory full of my text documents in asciidoc format, and I can view
> them on-the-fly as xhtml in my web browser.

Pavel,

You're certainly right,, but what we are looking at (and hoping to have
implemented in asciidoc) is a module that can be loaded (like your
asciidoc.py).

But instead of having an interface to write it out, we'd like to be able
to provide a function the input, and get the output back. So that you
don't have to write it to disk, but can send it to the web-browser.

It cannot be hard to have asciidoc provide such an interface by default.

Kind regards,
--   dag wieers,  [EMAIL PROTECTED],  http://dag.wieers.com/   --