Hi Steve

mowestusa wrote:
> First of all thanks for this discussion list and
> thanks for the excellent tool asciidoc.
>
> 1. I would like to know if there is an easy way to
> automatically format paragraphs so that when printed
> in a pdf they are like a traditional book or report
> format. For example you would have the first line
> indented by about 4-5 spaces, and there would be no
> extra space or lines inbetween paragraphs.
>
> Currently, I seem to get what I consider traditional
> webpage style paragraphs in html and pdfs generated
> from docbook. For example, the first line is not
> indented and there is one line of space between each
> paragraph. I like that setting for when I use asciidoc
> to create my website pages, but when I'm using it to
> write reports it would be nice to have a different
> type of formating.

Presentation issues are handled stylesheets (CSS for HTML/XHTML; XSLT
stylesheets for DocBook) not by AsciiDoc. For PDF generation the
xsltproc processor translates AsciiDoc generated DocBook XML to FO using
XSLT Stylesheets; FO is translated to PDF using FOP. You would need to
customize the XSLT Stylesheets to get the paragraph format you require.
The AsciiDoc distribution has a few XSLT Stylesheet customizations, take
a look at ./docbook-xsl/asciidoc-docbook-xsl.txt

> 2. I've been experimenting and haven't found the right
> combination. I would like to have a numbered list
> (like when you are writing a quiz with numbered
> questions) then after or before certain numbered
> questions I would like to be able to insert a box with
> different material like a quote that the student would
> have to read and then respond to in the next question
> or material helps that are used to help answer the
> previous question. Is there a way to stop the numbered
> list, insert a box or paragraph of material, and then
> pick up the numbered list again?

Take a look at 'list item continuation' and 'list blocks' in the
AsciiDoc User Guide, they should do what you want (though there are
limitations as to what elements are allowed in DocBook list items).

> 3. Finally, I may be having difficulty because of
> using 8.1 on some machines and 7.1 on others. To make
> a text italics does this not work under 7.1.0 when you
> use the "_" character?

This was added at version 8.0.0, see
http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/CHANGELOG.html

> 4. If I have a quote which quotes someone else
> normally that is written using a " character at the
> start of the quotation, and then a ' character at the
> beginning of the interior quote, then another ' and a
> final " to end the whole quote. This seems to mess up
> asciidoc in the conversion. Is there a way to do
> quotes within quotes or do I have to use special
> characters to quote text properly?

Post an example along with a description of the output and what you
expect to get.

> I have read the manual, but I don't quite understand
> the above issues from the manual pages. Thank you for
> any help you could offer.
>
> I have been encouraging my LUG members to consider
> using asciidoc for note taking and other tasks so that
> they can take advantage of plain text editors.
>
> Steve
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cheers, Stuart
--