Hi Dag

Dag Wieers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the unfortunate news to report that it was unclear to me that the
> asciidoc syntax file for vim was a rewrite of what was posted on the
> mailinglist.

Apologies for the confusion, I communicated with Felix back in April and
omitted to cc the mailing list -- the plan was that Felix would put a
note on vim.org marking his original script as obsolete. I've appended a
copy of my communication with Felix at the end of this message.

> Since I worked on my own version and was recently finishing it for
> testing. I noticed that on OpenSUSE with a newer vim the official asciidoc
> syntax file was shipped already.
>
> I then tried to merge what I already had with the official asciidoc syntax
> file and this resulted in the file that is available from:
>
>       http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/asciidoc-vim/
>
> My intention was to stay away from "highlight link" since it is
> incompatible with vim < 6.0. Also I wanted to stay away from the
> default highlight definitions since they are oriented at programming
> languages.
>
> Secondly, current shells have capabilities like underlining and bold. And
> gvim can even do italic. For that reason, I defined the style for most
> highlight definitions myself, including term, cterm and gui.
>
> I also added a few vim config settings that probably do not belong in this
> file, but are very useful.
>
> I like the coloring of this file over the official one as I tried to make
> sure that the meaning of the color is consistent over different Docbook
> tags. (eg. yellow means monospace, visible part of link is yellow so it is
> clearer to see how the document will look when processed, titles
> are underlined, document title is bold, etc...)
>
> When I merged both files, I also improved some of the regular expressions.
>
> Feedback welcome !

I've tried your syntax file -- it works well!

As for the colors that I implemented, I aimed for consistency (titles
magenta, monospace text cyan, attributes red ...) and I just choose the
set of colors that appealed to me most -- but since we all perceive
colors differently it certainly won't appeal to everyone.

I've put a link on the 'Vim Syntax Highlighter' section of the AsciiDoc
home page to your project, and in the next release's User Guide.

> --   dag wieers,  [EMAIL PROTECTED],  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
> [Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors]

Cheers, Stuart