On 23 September 2016 at 09:37, Jon Leech <jplgp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In asciidoc 8.6.9, there's an interaction I don't understand between double
> quoted text and unquoted text delimited with hashes.
>
> If I have input
>
> ``escaped'' span ``escaped''
>
> then I get output as expected:
>
> “escaped” span “escaped”
>
> But if I have input
>
> ``escaped'' #span# ``escaped''
>
> then something about the first quote gets confused, and I get output
>
> &8220;escaped” #span “escaped”
>
> (simplified from the original problem where I had a role attribute on the
> hash-text, which makes no difference in terms of the problem).

The problem is that the ``'' is substituted first, but the
substitution contains # (&#8220; &#8221; being the HTML entity codes
for open and close double quotes) and its legal for a quote markup to
occur after & so as you found the first # in the open entity is taken
as the start of the # quoted text, and the # after span which is
followed by a space is the end quote.

You could try changing the order of the quotes in asciidoc.conf,
putting # above ``|''.  I don't know what other effects that might
have.

Cheers
Lex