OK, then I believe that defining the method for `OPERATE` will give you what you want. You can put that definition in `my-system.asd` below the `defsystem` for "my-system". There's only one problem with that -- if you `load-system` on "my-system" before `my-system.asd` has been loaded (e.g., by `find-system`), then you will lose, because the around method will not have been defined before the first call to `operate`.

On 9 Mar 2018, at 16:37, Mark H. David wrote:

No, it's what we want for our system. We want everyone who builds our
system to get this behavior reliably.

----- Original message -----
From: Robert Goldman <rpgold...@sift.info>
To: "Mark H. David" <m...@yv.org>
Cc: "ASDF-devel" <asdf-devel@common-lisp.net>
Subject: Re: Best Practice for an ASDF Variable Like **compile-file-failure-behaviour**Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 16:34:48 -0600

Are you just using this for yourself?  If so, a simple

(let ((asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour* :warn)) (asdf:load-system
"my system"))will suffice.

Alternatively, you could put something like this in the .asd file:

(defmethod operate :around ((operation load-op) (system (asdf:find-
system "my-system"))) (let ((asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour*
:warn)) (call-next-method)))The above most emphatically *has not been tested*, so it might be wrong.I *think* if the top-level operation you use is load-op, this should work. Alternatively, you might want to replace (operation load-op) with just (operation operation) (and add a (declare (ignorable operation)))Cheers,