I'm not developing ASDF anymore (unless for hire) but I believe the
CFFI toolchain has a new maintainer, who might be willing to devote
cycles to that (or at least to merging a patch to CFFI).

Note that if the code that builds stuff and the code that tracks the
dependencies disagree, the right solution is to make the dependencies
match the actual build, not to make it lie better: make sure that
files are attributed as the output-files of the action that creates
it, and as the input-files of the other actions.

Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate
and captain of your soul.