I am not a BNF expert, so just a layman's question:  Can the problems
you are having be mended by simply changing the BNF in the ASN.1, or
would a mend affect the actual notation being defined?

If the former, do you have (or could you produce) a complete set of
proposed changes to the BNF that would correct the problem?

If the latter, I am afraid you are about twenty years too late!

John L

--
   Prof John Larmouth
   Larmouth T&PDS Ltd