Probably I used a terminology that is new and needs some explanation.

1.WSDL-XML/SOAP-XML : Service Described/specified using WSDL+XMLSchema. The
correspondence between client/server is done using SOAP messages with
character-based XML representation.

2.WSDL-XML/SOAP-ASN.1 : Service Described/specified using WSDL+XMLSchema.
The correspondence between client/server is done using SOAP messages using
ASN.1 representation as specified in X.FWS and using BER/PER efficient
encodings.

3.FWS-ASN.1/SOAP-ASN.1:  Service Described/specified  using ASN.1 (not yet
defined but a possibility, see below my logic).  The correspondence between
client/server is done using SOAP messages using ASN.1 representation as
specified in X.FWS and using BER/PER efficient encodings.

Currently - 2 can be collectively called FWS. The purpose and benefits of 3
(where everything is ASN.1)
would come from legacy ASN.1 applications that need to be retrofitted with
WS features yet they need to retain their current ASN.1 implementation
needs. I am not sure such legacy need exists in IT but for telecom and data
com yes. A While JIDM group some work on interworking of CORBA and SNMP
domains and specified  static and interaction translation methods. There is
also CORBA to WSDL translation document I have come across - I can send you
reference if you are interested.

Possible logic for seeing WSDL use of ASN.1 notation rather than XML Schema:
A F/WS is specified using WSDL, which contains data type definitions as per
XML schema.  Using X.694 translation rules the data types can be converted
to ASN.1. However, in the future it should be possible to describe services
directly using ASN.1 i.e. there could be ASN.1 version of WSDL. There is
already an ASN.1 version of SOAP [X.FWS]. While WS SOAP message is
transferred and hence need to be in ASN.1 form to make use of bandwidth
efficient BER/PER encodings, the same is not the case with F/WS WSDL XML
specification as usually it is used to generate client and server side code
only. However, since it contains data type definitions and ultimately
instance values of these data types are transferred, it makes sense to use
ASN.1 for the service specification itself.

-Manohar