Baideo,

Sorry to reply you so late. In fact I tried to reply
you on the day I received your mail. It didn't go then
for some reasons unknown to me. After that somehow I
was not able to reply you. Anyway I am trying to reply
your mail now.

Yes, you guessed it right - I am from Guwahati only.
In last 2-3 years some developments have been going on
in Guwahati. The roads condition have improved a lot
specially after the Asian Car Rally. The GNB road is
being widened. Till 1 year ago, we thought it was next
to impossible. But, since the activities are going on
in this rainy season, the GNB road condition is
becoming bad. There are 2 big storm water drains being
constructed - one at Noonmati where a canal is also
constructed through a small hillock and the other is
at Narengi. Authorities have planned to drain out the
excess water during the rainy days to Brahmaputra. One
can hope that the flood problem will be reduced once
the drains are completed.

The communication to upper Assam from Guwahati have
also imporved in recent days. One can travel upto
Tinsukia in 6-7 hours by Volvo buses. Though I am not
sure the fare will be around Rs. 360. We have
Jan-Satabdi train running from Guwahati to Jorhat. It
has A/C chair car facility. The Rajdhani Express is
now extended to Dibrugarh. One can also go upto Ledo
by Inter-City Express (train) which is an overnite
journey. I think you already know that we have now
local trains to Nagaon and Bongaigaon. The  office
goers are the daily commuters there.

Job oppurtunity in private sectors have slightly
increased mainly for the lower grades. The higher
qualified people have to venture out to Bangalore,
Hyderabad etc. for better oppurtunity. However, one
good sign is there - qualified people will no longer
sit idle here. They will promptly go outside Assam
which was not the case in the eighties and nineties.

That is all for today. There will be lot of things
which we could not appreciate from here. Those things
could be noticed from your angle. Kindly let us also
know some of your views about Guwahati/Assam these
days.

I dont know whether you will be senior to me or not.
Since, most of the netters are calling you 'baideo' -
I am doing the same. For your reference - I am of 1978
matric batch from Assam.

Regards

Gautam CHoudhury
--- "Alpana B. Sarangapani"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

---------------------------------

Glad to hear from you and to know that you liked the
one-stop site for all the newspapers, Gautam. Thank
you!

I am guessing you're from Guwahati? How is everything
there? Would love to hear anything and everything
about it.

I know banks open twice a day nowadays, with a break
in between and State Bank does not have an ATM machine
that takes cards from other banks - but only their
cards, if you have an account (and money in it, of
course! :)) with them. About types of buses that run
in and out of town, fare rates, how long it takes to
reach Dibrugarh from Guwahati (for example) - since
the highways are much better now, anything!

Didn't mean to put the pressure on you, but the
questions go to everyone. And you can ask me
questions too. Since we have this wonderful net, might
as well take advantage of it and communicate with each
other.... way to communicate with people from afar but
with common background/interests, couldn't be any
better.

Thanks again.

- A. Sarangapani

Houston, Texas.