Dear friends,

Every time anything is discussed in the assam.net, Mr. Mukul Chandra Mahanta has got to come up with his divisive comments. Now he has written  “The Ahom King's Bamun advisers led them into a pile of non-Engineering. The process continues. Xagors at Rangpur are no good for man or beast. Engineering would have led them to use slave lbour to dig perennial Irrigation Canals to serve  Zerenga/Jokaisuk- fed by meandering Dikhow's/Namdang's waters. Imagine what they could have done to North-bank river valleys.”

When I mentioned about “Rasendra Barua” in my letter, I did not even imagine that someone would turn this into “The Ahom King's Bamun advisers”. Rasendra Barua family was involved only in installing the “nag” in a “Sagar” which were called “Rahdhala Pukhuri.”  They were not “The Ahom King's Bamun advisers” who “led them into a pile of non-Engineering.”

Historically, the Chief Engineer of the Ahom Kingdom had a title “Changrung Phukan.” It was a very high post in Ahom hierarchy. Complete records of all the works of Changrung Phukan were maintained in “Changrung Phukanar Buranji”.

Mr. Mukal Chandra Mahanta is apparently unaware of the Changrung Phukan and the “Changrung Phukanar Buranji”, otherwise he would have mentioned it. In his bliss of ignorance, he keeps of jabbering “History is Bunk” “Khasi Christian” “Bamun Adviser” and all other ethnic slurs and personal attacks, which are very harmful for the unity of Asomiya people today.

Now, Mr. Mukal Chandra Mahanta is advising his own “engineering” with alternatives such as “Engineering would have led them to use slave lbour to dig perennial Irrigation Canals to serve  Zerenga/Jokaisuk- fed by meandering Dikhow's/Namdang's waters. Imagine what they could have done to North-bank river valleys.”  Well, it is no use blaming the Changrung Phukan for not seeing these alternatives. These alternatives were not considered by the British & Asomiya Engineers who manned Assam PWD for the last 150 years. Maybe the suggestions of Mr. Mukal Chandra Mahanta are not good alternatives.

As for the engineering expertise of Mr. Mukal Chandra Mahanta, who is a trained Electrical Engineer (and NOT a civil/structural/hydraulic engineer), it is reported that Mr. Mukal Chandra Mahanta used bamboo reinforcement (without considering the lack of bond between bamboo & concrete) in the prefabricated reinforced  buildings that he manufactured and marketed with good profit. It is also reported that a number of his prefabricated buildings collapsed.

Before considering some Non-Electrical-Engineering advice from Mr. Mukal Chandra Mahanta, the assam-net has a right to know the whole truth about his bamboo-reinforcement.  Instead of sprouting ethnic slurs and personal attacks, and instead of giving engineering advise on a topic he does not know, Mr. Mukal Chandra Mahanta should make a complete report under oath in the net about how many of his prefabricated buildings collapsed and how many people died or got injured.

With the best wishes,

Himendra Barthakur