Rajen:

The disappointments are results of expectations.

To expect India to give a damn about Assam is unrealistic.

That is why, those of us who are realists and are able to read the handwriting on the walls all over the place, do not hold out such expectations. We know Assam will never be an equal partner in India. To think or hope otherwise is a delusion .

At 6:17 PM -0500 9/24/07, Rajen & Ajanta Barua wrote:
 >But research visas (they are usually for long stays with research as the
explicit reason) are almost never given to study the Northeast. Thus most
major academic work by foreigners on the region was done before
Independence.

That looks like worse than under the British and that makes it a strong case for independence from India.
RB