Inner line permits are required for Indian as well as Foreign national for
visiting Arunachal Pradesh. For Nagaland, as far as I know it's not required.
For Manipur & Mizoram, I am not aware.

  Mridul Bhuyan

Sanjib Baruah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram and Manipur foreigners need
restricted areas permits in addition to their Indian visas. See:

http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ_Restricted_Area.htm

It is usually not difficult for a group of four to get it (probably not to
Manipur) perhaps because the government thinks such a large group is
likely to be a tourists and not academics, journalists etc who might write
about
the situation in the region.

Indians need Inner Line permits for Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and
Nagaland. They are issued by the Resident Commissioners of those states in
New Delhi, Deputy Commissioners, Liason Officers in places like Guwahati
and Shillong.

But research visas (they are usually for long stays with research as the
explicit reason) are almost never given to study the Northeast. Thus most
major academic work by foreigners on the region was done before
Independence.

SB

            Images by Graphics Factory.com