Prejudices arising out of factors like regionalism, parochialism etc. are one
thing.Considering a group of people or a race or a creed or caste as sub-humans
or pariahs is a step beyond that. Some prejudices arise out of competitions or
clashes, but prejudices arising not out of these but with a view to persecute
or to exploit is another.

umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Indians everywhere are regionalists -
in Delhi Biharis are cosndiered thieves and cheats, Haryanvis are considered
uncouth ruffians, Bengalis are intellectual snobs , and so on and so forth.
Only educated elite are Punjabis and somewaht South Indians.

In Rajasthan Sindhis are considered smooth talking modern cheats, South Indians
are considered educated clerks etc etc.

Madhya Pradesh is more cosmopolitan - being in the center of India - having
people fro all over and 27% population being tribals.
Maharasthra is for all to see - with UP guys getting beaten up for celebrating
their own Hindu rituals and no those of Maharasthra.

In SOuth India even educated people even know and care little of north India
besides Delhi. At Chennai train station a friend's friend asked me where is
Jaipur. He was from a top college there.

In my apartment complex I saw a notice where it was scratched out "Indians
only" - it was an advt for accommodation available. Made me proud that we had a
Chinese roommate recently, though.

Regionalism is very very high in India - but what is this newspaper Mail
Today - never heard of it. Even in US I hear people calling Andhra guys so many
names- though I admire their resourcefulness and business acumen.

Umesh

Chan Mahanta wrote: You are right Uttam. It also underscores the mentality that
is quite
pervasive among many Indians, of p***ing down on those whom they
consider racially inferior but suck-up to those whose approval they
so seek and deem superior.

The other day I riled a bunch of desis complaining about racism in
America ( which does exist) when I proposed that Indians are some of
the worst racists on the face of this earth. There were indignant
denials, but I held my ground .

Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C.

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]