>   Then why this sudden drop in potato prices? Its answer can be
>found in the huge production of potato >in Barpeta district under
>the aegis of the Oxom Unnati Sabha.

**** I am no economist, nor am I conversed in the intricacies of
market manipulation, be it in India or be it in the USA. But one
question does come to mind:  What is Assam's total potato crop? My
guess would be it is minuscule.

Assam has been a victim of many forms of exploitation perpetrated by
India and Indians, but  if Assam's potato production  volume being
what it must be, I don't think the Indian potato mafia is the one to
have manipulated the pricing to destroy the Borpetia-aluguti
industry.  Crying wolf one too many times destroys the credibility of
REAL reasons for Assam's discontent and outrage that is so skillfully
kept under the rug by Assam's establishment.

>Moreover, storing in Assam is a bit difficult, because of dearth of
>cold storage facility and lack of >electricity to run the cold
>storages effectively.

**** I have heard of this complaint for, at the very least, a quarter
century, if not more.  Question is what have we seen as progress in
this front?  Those who are ready to advise patience have a
responsibility to explain WHY and HOW MUCH more patience Assam  must
endure. And those pillars of Assam's society who would acknowledge
the problem but would continue to aid and abet the systemic
dysfunction of Indian governance over Assam which is /are
responsible,  are at best sly operators trying to have it both ways.

   > I believe that we should do whatever we can to foil and expose
such nefarious designs.

*** When those are REAL, I agree we should.  What holds us back?

>    I am also surprised that the outfits that want secession or
>sovereignty of Assam, do not point out >these injustices in everyday
>life and restrict themselves to denouncing state atrocities, to
>which >campaign people have become desensitized to an extent, as it
>smacks of partisanship.

*** Two points to note:

A: It is the same kind of logic that Indian apologists of Assam make
about  holding ULFA  responsible for border protection, or taunting
them for taking shelter in B'desh or challenging them to undertake
development projects in Assam.   It is a patently immature tactic
and/or complaint. Could be described in much harsher terms.  I will
be pleased to explain if absolutely necessary. But I prefer not to
get all that
harsh :-).

B: One cannot dismiss these villains on the one hand as
inconsequential or stupid or both and on the other hand expect them
to air their views in the media, while knowing full well that they
won't be able to get a letter to the editor that mince no words,
published; let alone be given publicity by the media controlled by
the entrenched media. That is living in a make-believe world.

>   I believe that we should do whatever we can to foil and expose
>such nefarious designs. Yes, >desecration of archeological relics is
>important issue to tackle. But brazen economic loot is no less
>a >question.

**** These are NOT zero sum games in where they are exclusive of each
other; where if one is pursued the other must be abandoned, just like
everything else in life. The complaint is not at all valid.