At 11:11 AM +0530 4/26/08, Uddipana Goswami wrote:
>i wouldn't trust mr chaliha's dictionary with botanical names - it has
>proved to be incorrect on many instances - the botanical name for 'kohua'
>for example.

*** It is entirely possible that a non-scientific dictionary may
contain errors on scientific terminology. So I always cross check
with other sources, if it is anything unusual or not a commonly known
name.

But I have always found Aadhunik Oxomiya Xobdokwx to be extremely
helpful in finding English or botanical/biological names for flora
and fauna of Assam. In this instance--of 'bhedai-lotaa', I could not
find anything in any of the other reference sources that I have,
including the fairly comprehensive "Oxomor Gos-gosoni, Part 1" by
Ananda Dutta, that would have led me to its botanical name, much less
to names in other languages, had it not been for Aadhunik Oxomiya
Xobdokwx.

I looked up "konhua" in Aadhunik Oxomiya Xobdokwx . It says the
botanical name is: Saccharum spontaneum, which when I looked up in
Google showed :

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.celestine-india.com/pankajoudhia/Images/saccharum.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.celestine-india.com/pankajoudhia/po_gall.htm&h=108&w=68&sz=6&tbnid=-9Dm_8PULS0J:&tbnh=108&tbnw=68&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSaccharum%2Bspontaneum%2Bphotos&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=2

Which is exactly what 'konhua' is, as could be seen in my photo
attached here. What I did I miss?

cm