Allow me to throw in one little suggestion:

Rotting vegetable/plant  and other organic waste is a major problem
in South Asian cities and towns. More so during the rainy season.

It can be immensely mitigated and very easily too, IF every household
that lives on the ground floor  or have access to a small yard or a
flat roof, COMPOSTS their vegetable/plant/organic waste. The compost
can be recycled to enrich the soil and the foul smelling, scavenging
animal attracting street dumps would be vastly reduced.

In a densely populated urban environment the composting must be done
in a contained environment, as opposed to piling up in a corner of
the yard, which  does not allow effective "digestion" of the material
by aerobic bacteria, becomes an eyesore and provides shelter for rats
and other vermin.

How to do it?

Simplest way is to build three containers, contiguous to each other,
with bamboo 'jewra' lined with 'dhari', each about 30" wide X 30"long
X 30" high. During the rainy season, they should be covered by a
sheet of poly-film supported by a bamboo framework.

Why three? Because once the first one gets full and the contents are
partially decomposed, it can be moved into the second one with a
pitch-fork. The turning of the contents will further accelerate
decomposition in the second chamber. When it gets full the "ripe"
compost can then be forked over into the third for storage and use in
the garden.

Two chambers will suffice if the household does not generate too much waste.

Those who do not have a yard or only a small one or have a flat roof,
can use a metal or plastic drum, about 2' in diameter X 3' long, with
a closable  window ( by cutting out a 12" X 12" section on the side,
then attaching it back with hinges and lips  and a latch. These can
be mass produced by a water-tank manufacturer, or by an individual
equipped to perform simple welding/soldering tasks. The drum can be
placed on a pair of X-type supports, and rotated once a week or so to
accelerate decomposition. There should be a few holes  opposite the
window and on the ends to allow air to enter and fluids to drain out.
Good air movement is essential to prevent ROTTING.  Waterlogging also
will cause rotting and create bad odors.

Sophisticated drum compost bins have a handle with a simple gear
mechanism to facilitate easy hand cranking for rotating.

BTW, the composting process is NOT the same as ROTTING. Composting is
done by aerobic bacteria by digesting the organic material. Rotting
is the opposite of that--prevention of bacterial digestion due to
absence of air in tightly packed dumps and steeped in too much
moisture or water.

When the material is lying around too loosely in a corner dump, the
heat generated by bacterial decomposition cannot be utilized
effectively to accelerate the process. And too dry an environment in
the loosely packed dump will not even start the bacterial digestion
process.

I can provide designs for both if someone wants to take up the project.

We have been composting all our kitchen and yard waste for over thirty years.

CAUTION: Do NOT place meat waste or pet excreta in your compost bins.
Fish waste is fine. Cow dung is  GREAT additive.