U:

>The other relevant point has been indicated by Chandan Da ( i.e.
>space constraint) and as frequents >Guwahati I think he is of the
>opinion that it is do-able despite that.

**** In waterlogging areas, it won't be a good idea to place a
compost bin on the ground. In such instances a raised, rotating
barrel would be the most ideal. This will be the most applicable
solution to those whose yard is small or has only a flat-roof
available.

But even for waterlogging areas, in most cases the water does not
remain there for days on end. Just a couple of days or so. In such
instances a ground based compost bin will still work. But if the pile
gets thoroughly saturated it must be turned over by hand with a
pitch-fork. Otherwise it will rot and result in
non-decomposition, emitting foul odors and the like. This is a task,
unlikely to be performed by the average urban-Kharkhowa , 'babu' or
otherwise. Rural folks or rural transplants who believe in their
mission are the ones who probably will take the trouble.

So, the raised barrel seems to be the most effective solution, in
more ways than one. Even an IAS or a minister can load it and turn it
once a couple-of-days or so, without having to wait for the
security-detail or the 'servant' to do it.

Here is a sophisticated one:
https://www.compostumbler.com/StoreFront/IAFDispatcher
I will however caution the consumer on the claim of compost in two
weeks: It is, at best, a hype, if not entirely an untruthful claim.
Three months would be a more reasonable expectation in most instances.

We produce about two batches of compost, 3' X 3' X 3' in a year. But
we are hampered by the cold winters when the digestion process slows
down drastically, almost to a standstill. I am also an experienced
compost-maker, aside from being an able carpenter, who can build
effective compost bins.  I can write a book on it .  Unlike the
claims of certain fellow-NRAs in these shores,  I am not ALL talk. If
nothing else, I CAN at least make compost - and can prove it to boot.

>  I hear that in New York and such big cities in the US garbage/
>sewage disposal is a big business for >the Mafia (Chinese?)? Is it
>true?

*** Waste disposal and treatment is indeed a BIG Business in the USA!
So is compost making. It is also a very IMPORTANT one. With good
reason. And the results are all over to be seen. You will rarely find
the kind of garbage strewn filthy environments in US cities that are
so commonplace in most developing societies. I have never been to
China, but I think Chinese cities are a whole lot cleaner than the
best of Indian cities. Singapore is like the best of the developed
countries.

I was highly impressed by the cleanliness of the little towns and
settlements inhabited by Monpas in Arunachal last November. They are
so much more cleaner than our urban settlements of the plains.

Mafia? Surely, there might be Mafia and/or other  such nefarious
dealers in any organized industry that does not attract  society's
best. But it still works and fairly well. The alternative would be
far less desirable.

We are however not here to compare India or Oxom with other
societies. The point is that we ought to be able to do a whole lot
better than we do. Question is how? WHO will lead the charge for
positive change ?

c-da