In addition to what I mentioned,  there are other
misleading info all throughout the article.

1)  The article says "(for SEZs) All corporate taxes
are waived for the  first five years,..."  This is NOT
true.  the Income tax is waived ONLY for export
income (http://sezindia.nic.in/HTMLS/about.htm).

2) The artcile says " Labor laws find only a
rudimentary application in the special economic
zones."  However,  the SEZ Rule says " The Developer
shall abide by the local laws, rules, regulations or
bye-laws in regard to area planning, sewerage
disposal, pollution control, labour laws and the like
as may be locally applicable."

As a matter of fact, I could not verify many of the
claims by the author after going through the SEZ Rule
and Act.

It probably does not make much sense to pick up an
article by any Tom, Dick, Harry in an attempt to paint
India in black.

--- Krishnendu Chakraborty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://books.google.com/books?id=Au3R0DblY7wC&pg=PA56&lpg=PA56&dq=ford+mahindra+tamil+nadu+exemption&source=web&ots=p1RzEZNoXT&sig=9T-FNqYOxcpPM6neQ6eLNZp5DKI&hl=en#PPA57,M1
> [...]
> (28.01.06)
>

> Two reasons are given for India's economic
> attractiveness:
> well-educated, inexpensive high-tech workers and a
> booming internal
> market. But there is a third, more important motive
> that attracts
> investors: the abundance of incentives and sweetners
> offered by the
> Indian government to foreign corporations.
>
> "Incredibly India: The Biggest Democracy for Global
> Investors": With
> this slogan, omnipresent in Davos, India takes a jab
> at China and at
> the same time makes clear: India is rolling out the
> red carpet for
> foreign investors. The enticements include tax
> breaks,
> tariff relief
> and inexpensive building sites already outfitted
> with
> the necessary
> infrastructure. Exemptions are also made to the
> applicable
> environmental and labor legislation. Since the
> individual Indian
> states are competing for investments, firms can
> combine individual
> and state benefits. And for large projects there are
> not only the
> standard incentives, but also tailor-made contracts
> and incentive
> packets, whose details remain secret.
>
> The most extensive enticements are granted in the
> special economic
> zones, which are under the direct authority of the
> central
> government's Trade and Industry Ministry. Eleven
> such
> regions already
> exist, and a further 42 have been approved. The
> Trade
> Minister
> manages these zones himself; his colleagues in the
> Departments of
> Environment and Finance have no say. Former finance
> minister Jaswant
> Singh has complained, in vain, about the loss of tax
> authority over
> these zones.
>
> Exemptions Without Rules
> Labor laws find only a rudimentary application in
> the
> special
> economic zones. All firms are treated as public
> utilities, which
> means that workers may not strike. A toy factory has
> the same status
> as state-operated water and electricity utilities.
> Normal working
> hours and overtime as well as wages do not need to
> be
> made public,
> and there are no regular inspections for compliance
> with safety and
> health standards. In addition, no contributions need
> to be paid into
> the state's social insurance koffers during the

=== message truncated ===