The Meaning of RSVP
Let's Clear Up the Confusion Over RSVPs
By Donna Pilato, About.com Guide
See More About:
        • rsvp
        • party invitations
        • party etiquette

Fun Birthday Invitations
Fresh Designs, Refreshing Prices. Invites for as Low as 59¢ per card!
www.TinyPrints.com
Invitation Wording
Word Your Invitations Perfectly. Shop Exclusively Weddings Today!
www.ExclusivelyWeddings.com
St. Louis Coupons
1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Like doing St. Louis at 90% off!
www.Groupon.com/St.-Louis
I hope that this week's tip will benefit hosts and guests alike, because there
seems to be a lot of confusion about the meaning of the above term.

Lack of RSVPs - A Growing Problem

I hear more and more often, and have found in my personal experience, that
hosts often do not receive firm indications whether guests plan to attend their
parties, even if RSVP is clearly printed on the invitation. This could mean
either one of two things. First it could mean that rudeness is a growing trend
in our society. Or, as I would prefer to believe, people no longer understand
what the term means. Assuming the best, and that the decline in RSVPs can be
attributed to ignorance and not rudeness, I will clarify this for the record.

What RSVP Means

The term RSVP comes from the French expression "répondez s'il vous plaît",
meaning "please respond". If RSVP is written on an invitation it means the
invited guest must tell the host whether or not they plan to attend the party.
It does not mean to respond only if you're coming, and it does not mean respond
only if you're not coming (the expression "regrets only" is reserved for that
instance). It means the host needs a definite head count for the planned event,
and needs it by the date specified on the invitation.