Dear Netters:
?
On 4 8 2011 I posted a piece from the Times of India under the heading:US not
good for education:says Top Indian scientist. Today in the same paper there is
article saying that more than 20% students than last year are applying for
places in US universities..
?
>From other sources I learnt that in 2006 as many as 123,000 students went
>abroad for studies mostly in the US, Canada and Australia. In Britain between
>1999 and 2009 there were said to be 19,205 students in the United Kingdom from
>India. India needs 300 universities more, my source indicates
An official UK report says that because if immigration problems the number of
student visas for foreign students will be cut.

- bhuban
?
?
?

Data released by the US embassy reveals that the number of Indian students who
have applied for visas to study in the US is up 20% over last year.

MUMBAI: The intimidating barriers for entry to India's top colleges have had an
unexpected fallout. If the rise in student visa applications this year is
anything to go by, students, instead of downgrading their choices and settling
for second- or third-best, are increasingly looking westwards and flooding
American universities with admission applications.

Data released by the US embassy reveals that the number of Indian students who
have applied for visas to study in the US is up 20% over last year. Education
counsellors say they are seeing large crowds again, the vital difference being
that the students seeking advice are much younger. While 24,500 Indian students
were granted visas to join American universities last year, most went there for
a Masters and 14.5% joined a grad school. "But this year has seen a phenomenal
rise in the number of undergraduate students," said counselor Pratibha Jain.

Officials at the American embassy confirmed that the number of student visa
applications in India was already significantly higher than at this point last
year. "The US has greatly expanded its consular staffing and educational
outreach initiatives to ensure that prospective students can get the visa
appointments and information they need," said an official. "This effort
includes significantly increased funding for the Education-USA advising
centers."

Jain said she had noticed a shift in the attitude of students. "Earlier, they
all wanted to go to the famous 10 to 15 universities," she said. "Now there is
a range of good second-tier colleges they are willing to go to. Community
colleges that charge about Rs 12-15 lakh annually are also on the Indian
students' radar now."

However, experts said it was too early to forecast the number of actual
entrants to American universities this fall. "It depends on how many are
accepted at universities and how many meet with consular approval," said an
education consultant.

?
?