Until recently, India’s intransigent negotiating posture has conveyed the
impression that it will not accept any carbon emissions limits without full
compensation and more stringent carbon limitation from rich countries. However,
our assessment of India’s proposed renewable energy standard (RES) indicates
that this impression is simply wrong. India is seriously considering a goal of
15 percent renewable energy in its power mix by 2020, despite the absence of
any meaningful international pressure to cut emissions, no guarantees of
compensatory financing, and a continuing American failure to adopt stringent
emissions limits. If India moves ahead with this plan, it will promote a
massive shift of new power capacity toward renewables within a decade. We
estimate the incremental cost of this change from coal-fired to renewable power
to be about $50 billion—an enormous sum for a society that must still cope with
widespread extreme poverty. If India moves ahead with its current plan, it
should give serious pause to those who have resisted U.S. carbon regulation on
the grounds on that it will confer a cost advantage on “intransigent” countries
such as India.
Center for Global Development
1800 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036