Dear Hazarika-da,

I really should not get involved in a discussion of a subject that I have
little knowledge of. However, I do get curious about a few things here. And
that is why the long winded response. Please take them for what they are
worth. I have no illusions about what that might be:

** I don't know that anyone is questioning the state of development of the
Assamese language. The question, at least in MY mind, in regard to the
various 'xo's,and as Neep points out, the  'no's, the 'to's and 'so's etc.
is that even though these had validity in the Sanskrit root and other
languages like Bengali or Hindi, they no longer find any usage in the
SPOKEN Assamese language. And therefore must we continue to follow these
'written' only conventions that dicate the usage of these letters
designating subtle differences of the sounds? It only tends to make the
learning of the language unnecessarily complex.

My gut reaction would be that, for the survival and progress of the
Assamese language depends on its expanded popularity. One possibility of
such expanded popularity might lie with the people of the seven-sisters.
One might argue that it makes good sense to make the language simpler by
discarding what has become redundant. It would be like shedding dead skin.
Molting, if you would.

** The 'confusion' related to the use of the Roman letter 'x' to represent
the Assamese 'xo' sound is confusing only to those who are not at all
initiated to that particular sound in the Assamese language. It could be
irritating to SOME of us Kharkhowas, but definitely not confusing. And to
those who are not familiar with the nuance, they must be first explained
what it means, or represents. Like Sanjib Baruah did in his book India
Against Itself, which was expected to be read by a population that is wider
than the realm of Assamese speakers. It is a process of educating the
un-initiated.

** I have empathy for your wish that it would be nice to have

"an universally accepted norm  representing the correct pronunciation.
People other than Assamese who are not  familiar with Assamese language
tend to say / pronounce an Assamese word  whichever way they can -
'Assami' to say Assamese language like  Bengali, Hindi, Marathi etc unless
you clarify it to them that we call   'Assamiya' - the question is what
will you say in Roman script - Axomiya  or  Asomiya (as written by Asomiya
Pratidin),  etc.?"

Now imagine English, the most widely used language of  the world today, and
how it is pronounced by its users. I suspect the English language purists
in the UK wince in pain every time they hear an Indian speak their
language, or an an Assamese, or an American, never mind the French :-).

Therefore I don't know if it is a cause worth pursuing. But I do understand
Assamese disappointments, even resentments, at fellow Indians'
UNWILLINGNESS, even though it might only be inadvertent, to learn how
another fellow Indian state's name is pronounced or their residents called.
We do realize, it is so because Assam is NOT important enough to them. NOT
their fault. But if they claim Assam to be their blood brethren, as they do
when the ownership of the land of Assam is concerned; they might be
expected to know what their brethren are called or their name pronounced.
The least one would expect.

** I am definitely NOT persuaded on the argument that "---an universally
acceptable norm in respect of  equivalent alphabet of for writing in Roman
script could only be agreed by the  authorities in Assam".

I think it is quite the opposite.

The people in Assam don't have to deal with the nuances of the 'xo' sound.
They already know it. It is those of us, who find the need to represent the
sound with a letter of the Roman alphabet, and the English language users
of Assam who use the medium in communicating with those outside Assam; that
have the problem.

And as such it need not be something that MUST be blessed  or approved by
the AUTHORITIES in Assam. However it will certainly HELP if they
participated or took the leadership in developing a STANDARD for it.

But if Assam Sahitya Sabha ASS ( OXX to me :-)) or the universities or the
media in Assam are NOT interested in it, like they were not in the past, it
is their prerogative. They have more urgent problems to deal with. Under
those circumstance, WE who deal with it almost everyday, still could find
an acceptable form of representing the 'xo' sound, coudn't we?

** Finally, I have yet another gripe I would like for you all to consider:
That is the use of the letter 'a', as in Mahanta or the letter 'o' as in
Sondon. Those of us in North America are always facing the problem of our
names with many 'a's, literally being bent out of shape by Americans
pronouncing Chandan as Chenden. I wished, way back when, it would habve
been spelt the way it sounds in Assamese, like Sondon Mohonto. That is why
I really dislike Oxom being written as Asom for example. Heck it is a whole
lot more convoluted than Assam.

Regards. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Sondon Kharkhowa Mohonto
St. Louis, USA