Honorable President ASSUK :Mr Hazarika,

I think your confusion on the subject is arising becuase of your mixing  between Assamese alphabet and Assamese phonems in the language.  Assamese has about 50 alphabet but it has only 31 phonem (called 'borno' or 'dhoni' in Assamese). When we speak of writing Assamese in Roman script, nobody wants to create a parallel alphabet of 50 letters in Roman script.  The idea is to establish ONE Roman acript for each of the 31 Assamese phonems.  For instance, although we have two different DO (Dontiyo DO and Murdhnyo DO) in the following two words, we write with the same Roman script D: Duliajan and Dibrugarh. Similarly we write with the same Roman script T the following two words although the spelling in Assamese are different (one with Dontiyo TO and the other with Murdhniyo TO): Tura and Tirap. In your suggested system, we will have to write as Duliajan and D`ibrugarh or something like that.

Now our only problem is that so far we donot have a Roman script for the Assamese phonem XO which is written in Assamese by three different letters : Dontiyo XO, Murdhniyo XO and Talobyo XO.  This written by the same letter S which actually represent a different phonem (as written by the letters protho so, ditio so, xoi-boi-so etc). There has been always a suggestion, starting from Miles Bronson down to Banikanta Kakoty and others to use the Roman script X for this sound.  X is also the IPA sysmbol for the phonem.  So far we Assamese have not used it. Why? I think partly due our ignorance of our own language (Your staement :"Using 'X' for 'Xo' etc. is very recent and confusing" proves the same) and partly due to our inferiority complex (what the other Indians will think of it, what expalnation Assamese will give in front of other Indians, 'hobo diok' etc). Now we are simply suggesting that for the sake of prserving this unique Assamese phonem in use by our ! children, specially by those who live outside Assam, and to keep the purity of spoken Assamese, we need to revive the use of X for this phonem.

I think ASSUK (should be OXXUK) along with OXXUSA can help if these two org want to.  We understand many educated Assamese, like you, are ignorant about this X phonem. However, if ASSUK want to participate, we can discuss. But if ASSUK donot want to take part in this important evolution, at least please donot confuse with eliminating any Assamese letter by anybody from the alphabet.

Rajen Barua