C'da

You leave me confused here. If it is 'distorted logic' ( sounds like an oxymoron to me to begin with), and you are agreeing that two wrongs don't make a right, then what are we arguing about :-)?

You are not confused. When I said I agree with "two wrongs.. don't make a right" it was in a general sense.

But you tried to spin ULFA's one-sided indignation by USING the above. I contend it doesn't make sense here, and is certainly a distorted logic.

As I pointed out, basically ULFA is cherry picking here. When it suits them, then of course 'children' need HR protection etc. But, when it doesn't (like in Dhemaji, when they were the perpetrators, HR and bsic human dignities flew out of the window.

>**** I have heard all kinds of spin, but this really is an extreme case, where imprisoning of children >of political prisoners could be held as justifiable, because they are children of 'thugs'.

It was no spin. Children whether they belong to ULFA or others should always be protected and ought to off limits for ULFA or the GOI or anyone else to  take their revenge on.

Even children of thugs ought to get special treatment. I have NO problem with the children themselves. It is ULFA's attitude that concerns people: They are Choosey to say the least when it comes to HR.
They have basically stated by their bombings in Dhemaji and the attempt last week to  kill school children that HR only involves their OWN children, but damn the other children - kill them!

If were to read what I wrote.,you would surely know, that the my tirades are not against the children of ULFA (in fact I even said ttheir treatment could be considered as a crime)

--Ram

On 8/17/05, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Ram:

> **** Two gross wrongs don't make a right, or does it?

As Rajib says, this is distorted logic.

Two wrongs don't make it right - absolutely.

You leave me confused here. If it is 'distorted logic' ( sounds like an oxymoron to me to begin with), and you are agreeing that two wrongs don't make a right, then what are we arguing about :-)?

>But here you have one case of the  Ulfa children being deprived basic
diet for growth and developement. This can be termed as gross
>negligence/apathy or even a crime.

*** I knew I could count on your humanity here, Ram. In fact I will go a step further and ask if it is not a crime against humanity to imprison children of even the most heinous of criminals, let alone POLITICAL prisoners, like the ULFA cadres? What civilized society do we know of, where children of political prisoners are jailed and to add insult to injury, are mistreated?

Tell me Ram what you think of this? Should these children NOT be handed over to relatives? What kind of government, what kind of society, would hold them behind bars? What is their crime?

>On the other hand, what Ulfa did to the Dhemaji children cannot be
brushed as "a wrong".  It was just pure wonton killing of innocent
>children.

**** I would mince no words and agree with you and anybody else, that it was a criminal act. BTW, 'a  wrong' is not a spin word, it is not an attempt to brush it aside, like attempting to justify imprisonment of children of political prisoners, on account of crimes of somebody else belonging to the same political party.

Is this the kind of democratic governance thinking people ought to look up to, identify with, pay homage and pledge allegiance to?

>C'da, whatever their garb, thugs will always remain thugs. Just
because the 'diet case' involve children belonging to the ULFA, they
>have suddenly become conscious of human rights.

**** I have heard all kinds of spin, but this really is an extreme case, where imprisoning of children of political prisoners could be held as justifiable, because they are children of 'thugs'.

It speaks volumes about the civilization of the good folks.

At 11:43 AM -0500 8/16/05, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
C'da,
> **** Two gross wrongs don't make a right, or does it?

As Rajib says, this is distorted logic.

Two wrongs don't make it right - absolutely.

But here you have one case of the  Ulfa children being deprived basic
diet for growth and developement. This can be termed as gross
negligence/apathy or even a crime.
On the other hand, what Ulfa did to the Dhemaji children cannot be
brushed as "a wrong".  It was just pure wonton killing of innocent
children.

>>  Finally the outfit appealed to all the masses of Asom,  conscious
> >>  citizens, Human rights organizations, particularly to  international
> >>  organizations to take firm steps against such crimes against  these
> >>  children. (from their Newsletter)

Right!. What a bunch of crock. We didn't hear the ULFA appealing to
Intl. Orgs. about the Dhemaji blasts nor did they appeal to the
conscious citizens.
C'da, whatever their garb, thugs will always remain thugs. Just
because the 'diet case' involve children belonging to the ULFA, they
have suddenly become conscious of human rights. What happened to the
HR of so many inncoents killed and the children of Dhemaji. Who
appeals for their rights? Its definitely not the ULFA.