On 16 May 2011 16:03, Dougie Lawson <dl1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2011 20:01, Michael Ludé <ml...@illustro.com> wrote:
>> I can't seem to find this, I'm sure that someone on this list knows the
>> answer. How can I find the difference between what STCK returns and the UTC
>> or GMT time? And, is the timezone identifier (e.g. PST, EDT, etc.) available?

> CVTLDTO gives you the offset, CVTLSO is the number of leap seconds.

Yes, and this is probably what Mike was asking for. But to be clear,
there is no internal way to determine the difference between STCK time
and UTC/GMT. The clock is presumed to be set to UTC, and those CVT
fields are set to the offset(s) of local time from UTC. But there is
nothing to prevent an installation from setting TOD clock to whatever
they want, and indeed a surprising number of shops seem to still set
it to local time, though the practice has been deprecated for decades.

There are also potential issues when running under a hypervisor
(z/VM), where the value returned by STCK can be different for each
virtual machine.

Tony H.