The intent of my post was that it would be a lead-in to a more
generalized discussion as to why it might be that System/360 was
designed with a set of registers that contain heterogeneous control
information, sometimes within a single register and yet provides
instructions for loading and storing their values in a whole register at
a time fashion.  Having 16 of every type of register promotes a more
orthogonal design aesthetic but I wonder if the designers got a little
carried away with the concept.  It allows for a smaller instruction set
I suppose since you only need LCTL and STCTL for reading and updating
values in one or more Control Registers but wholesale loading of control
registers can involve interdependencies that add significant overhead.
The existence of instructions such as ESEA that load specific bits of
Control Registers without incurring overhead due to interdependencies
suggests to me that the 16 of every type of register design aesthetic
may have been over-extended a tad.

As for using the ESEA instruction?  I see no issue with doing so
provided steps are taken to ensure that changes to the EAX are
encapsulated (such as when a PC routine whose ETE specifies a non-zero
EAX value is  executed).  Like all privileged  instructions its use
requires care and attention to detail.

BTW, I have not been able to find any documentation that corroborates
Jim's assertion that ESEA is only for operating system use.  Is there a
list of OS-only instructions that I should be aware of?  I guess I'd
like to make sure it's okay for me to be using SCKC and SPX (just
kidding).

Keven