On Mar 18, 2013, at 04:37, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

> Wasn't there an IBM warning that user macros should be greater than five
> characters since all opcodes were to be five characters or less, and thus this
> problem would be avoided?

Right.

> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 09:30:34 -0400 Alex Kodat <ako...@rocketsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> :>Seems like this might be an excuse to correct what I view as a historical
> :>mistake in the Assembler, namely the precedence of native
> :>instructions/extended mnemomics over macros. ...
> :>
> :>I understand that there might be implementation issues -- I suspect that
> :>the assembler doesn't currently scan all macro libraries and build a
> :>look-aside table of all macros in those libraries, ...

Made slightly harder in that:

o SYSLIB may be a mixed concatenation of:
  - PDS directories
  - PDSE directories
  - UNIX directories.

o And DESERV, the obvious tool to use:
  - doesn't report members in UNIX directories
  - may not be available on VM/CMS
  - may not be available on VSE

Isn't there lately a construct that explicitly invokes a macro
rather than an opcode?  There should be.

If one first COPYs a macro, it takes precedence over the opcode.
But, ugh!

For the IBM HLASM developer who said the CC masks are easy to
memorize and understand in a listing:  That's easy for him to say.

I'll repeat my suggestion of extending the syntax of the opcode
field:

    instead of:  BNMR etc.
    optionally:  BR(NM)

Effectively greatly enlarging the name space.

-- gil