From: "Duffy Nightingale" <du...@soundsoftware.us>
Sent: Sunday, 4 August 2013 2:46 PM

Working on a project that requires me to build a long bit string in storage -
initialized to binary 0’s.  Have a need
to keep concatenating bits to this string as the process continues.  The len of
the bit strings to add are 4, 7, 10 and
possibly others.  I came up with the idea of lining up on the 4 byte boundary
of  where I want to add.  Then get the
bits I want to add in the r.h. side of a register with the bits on l.h. side
set to 0’s.  Then OR to the left most 4
byte boundary.  I know this will work but wondering if anyone out there could
come up with a more straight forward
elegant way to do this?  Unfortunately I cannot use the latest and greatest
instructions :(

What about the following?:

Assuming that you have k, the number of (empty) bits remaining in the current
byte,
and that you have the bits to be added somewhere in another register,
adjust the bits to be added until they are left-adjusted in an odd-numbered
register.
Then double shift left by k bits.
Then do an OI using EX to put in those k bits.
Then double left shift again, this time by 8 bits and OI using EX.
Continue thus if there are more bits....