Miklos Szigetvari wrote:

>Subject: PDSE and HLASM together in z/OS 2.1
>After a PMR it turned out that the PDSE has not enough storage.
>We are using the default assembler OPTION SIZE(MAX) . In this case ,
>according the book , the assembler gives back 128 K byte storage, but it
>is not big enough for PDSE.
>I will change the default SIZE, but maybe the assembler would gives back
>something more as 128K ?

SIZE=MAX is the default.

Reading the HLASM Install guide SC26-3494-05
http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/download/asmi1021.pdf
page 170, note 4 says: '4. When you specify the MAX suboption, the
assembler releases 128 K back to the user region (z/OS), virtual machine
(CMS), or the partition GETVIS (z/VSE), for system usage. When you specify
the  MAX suboption, there might not be enough storage remaining in the
user region (z/OS), virtual machine (CMS), or the partition GETVIS
(z/VSE), to load any exits you specify, or any external functions you use
in your assembly.

I also found the HLASM V1.4 pdf (dated Sept 2000) - and it has the same
words - and I'd put good money on the older versions saying the same.

Richard (the HLASM developer) has asked whether this is the time to change
the 128k value & increase it a little rather than have everyone change
their procedures. If an RFE or request appears - I'm sure an APAR will
soon turn up. (An RFE would be a good place for all to suggest what value
should be used in place of 128k)

Sharuff
smo...@uk.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above: