Ref:  Your note of Tue, 1 Apr 2014 19:26:04 -0700

The HLASM product has always used a single chain of maintenance
rather than a tree, and provided the INFO option to list the
product changes.  I don't know the specific reason that this
choice was made, over 20 years ago, but as HLASM uses common code
across four platforms (MVS, CMS, VSE and more recently zLinux) I
suspect it would be much more complex and error-prone to handle
the maintenance in any other way.

The hypothetical situation where one might want to install one
fix without installing other fixes does not seem very likely to
arise.  HLASM has a general rule that valid input will continue
to produce the same object code output, so fixes are not likely
to result in side-effects.

It's not possible to totally eliminate the possibility of a PTF
occasionally being in error and someone wanting to apply a fix
which prereqs that PTF before the PE fix is available, but that
is already an undesirable situation which every effort will be
made to avoid.  My personal opinion is that on past experience
this situation seems to be sufficiently rare that the benefits to
users and to the IBM change team of using a simple sequential
maintenance process far outweigh the potential impact of rare
cases of wanting to apply fixes out of sequence.

Jonathan Scott
IBM Hursley, UK
Disclaimer: I do not speak for IBM