On 2014-11-05, at 05:10, Tony Thigpen wrote:

> And z/VSE followed the same pattern as z/OS.
>
> And, as a little extra, this is why the 31/64 line is called a BAR, not a
> LINE. The unusable addresses are what is in the BAR. So, you can be above the
> bar, or below the bar, but not in the bar. (No drinking allowed. :-)  )

This been discussed, tediously, in these lists. The statement, including
from some IBM employees, perhaps unofficial, is that the BAR is an
infinitesimal boundary immediately below 2GiB.  Any address >= 2GiB
is considered *above*, never in, the BAR.

Nevertheless, as long as z/OS and z/VSE exclude 2GiB <= address < 4GiB,
I prefer your interpretation.  Is "bar" prevalent in VM or Linux argot?

-- gil