On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu> wrote:

> On 2014-11-05, at 05:10, Tony Thigpen wrote:
>
> > And z/VSE followed the same pattern as z/OS.
> >
> > And, as a little extra, this is why the 31/64 line is called a BAR, not
> a LINE. The unusable addresses are what is in the BAR. So, you can be above
> the bar, or below the bar, but not in the bar. (No drinking allowed. :-)  )
> >
> This been discussed, tediously, in these lists. The statement, including
> from some IBM employees, perhaps unofficial, is that the BAR is an
> infinitesimal boundary immediately below 2GiB.  Any address >= 2GiB
> is considered *above*, never in, the BAR.
>
> Nevertheless, as long as z/OS and z/VSE exclude 2GiB <= address < 4GiB,
> I prefer your interpretation.  Is "bar" prevalent in VM or Linux argot?

​On the Linux-390 forum, I've never seen the use of "​bar" in this context.
Only 64 bit mode or 31 bit mode. In the same context as the x86_64 or i386
mode for Intel.

--
The temperature of the aqueous content of an unremittingly ogled
culinary vessel will not achieve 100 degrees on the Celsius scale.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown