From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:36 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: KMx vs PCC crypto instructions

The KM[x] (Cipher Message[with xxx]) set of crypto instructions seems to do the
same things as PCC (Perform Cryptographic Computation). I haven't checked every
option in excruciating detail, but for the common ones (DES, 3DES, AES) there
is at least a lot of overlap.

For new code, what should I choose, and why? Both seem to support encrypted
keys, so that isn't the differentiator.

For old code, where I have (say) a DES routine in software that I would like to
replace, are the criteria different?

(Of course I am aware that perhaps calls to ICSF are the overall better choice,
but I would still like to understand the reasons for the existence of these two
sets of instructions.)

Thanks... Tony H.

attachments from your system.