 From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> on behalf
of Paul Raulerson <paul.rauler...@me.com>
 Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:18 PM
 To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu
 Subject: Re: Fair comparison C vs HLASM

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 1:43 PM, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu
> <mailto:sme...@gmu.edu>> wrote:
 >
 > CDS is an example of something more sophisticated than C statements, but
 > even on the S/360 there were instructions like TRT.

 TRT has to be one of the most elegant instructions anyone ever thought up. I
love it, but you still have to build the translation table. You have to build
one in C too, so far as I know. The actual code in C is two or three lines, so
yes, I would easily concede that TRT is more sophisticated than C code.  ;)

 > I'm not sure whether ++ and -- came from the PDP-11 or from the earlier
 > PDP-7/PDP-9. A decent compiler would have optimized x=x+1 and x=x-1 to
 > utilize the increment and decrement features of those machines without
 > having to add them to the language.

 PDP-7.

 > If you know VAX assembler, a great deal is missing from C.

 (grin)

 > The "good reason" is that they were using a machine with a small memory. A
 > large subroutine library is no substitute for a good macro facility.
 >
 > It can be argued that the 650 was a more powerful machine than the 7030, but
 > will anybody believe the argument?

 I thought it was something like that. Thanks!

 > "Must have missed the DEC PDP and VAX line..."
 >
 > Close but no cigar. The C preprocessor is also grossly inferior to, e.g.,
 > Macro-11. E Unibus plurum.

 I think every Macro processor - at least until you get to SGML and up - is
grossly inferior to Macro-11. To make up for it though, Macro-11 can be pretty
impenetrable to figure out if you don’t work with it regularly! :)

 -Paul

 > --
 > Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
 > http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

SM

 Seymour J Metz



   Reply | 

Today, 1:01 PM

 IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu>
 

Sent Items

IMHO IBMAP, Assembler (XF) and Assembler (H) stack up pretty well against
Macro-11. I'd rank the S/360 instruction set as better than the PDP-11 but not
as good as the VAX-11.

 Shirley you mean tools for manipulating SGML, e.g., XSLT, rather than SGML
itself.

 --
 Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3